Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lately

This post is being written as an attempt to catch up on the last couple of weeks. Life has become crazy with school starting but it is good sort of crazy.

SCHOOL
School is going really well this year. I feel, for the first time, that I am actually able to think and plan ahead in my teaching and not just survive day to day. My classroom is still organized which is a miracle. My students are adorable, fabulous, hilarious, kind-hearted, and then some. I would love to post pictures of them but it just doesn't seem the right thing to do on a public blog. If you want to meet the darlings, come visit my classroom! I would be happy to have you.


THE FATTEST
Tom informed me of his game several days in advance this time, so I was able to go along with Mike and crew. It was an Idaho v. Utah game and Idaho won. Tom is fun to watch. He got a fantastic shiner in this game and I took it upon myself to document it. This picture is one of many reasons I don't think I could ever play rugby.
Tom poses with Avery and Aidan.
Last Saturday, I went to a something (I'm not quite sure what to call it) at the U. The PBS station in NYC received a grant to produce history games. We learned about the game and its awesomeness. The first game was launched this week and it deals with colonial Boston. It's free. You can play it here. Tell teachers about it so they can let their students play. You can also play Pennywhistle Hero at this site. It is like guitar hero but you are playing colonial songs on a penny whistle instead. PennyWhistle Hero might change your life.
I've always got a book on tape in my car. My current read is Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts. I read it last year but decided that since I went to Boston in April and have read several colonial history books, my background knowledge might help me understand and remember the stories better. I have not been disappointed this second time around. It is a great book.
This gem was captured at the gas station where my team and I went to buy Subway for lunch one day. If they would send the writer of this sign back to 5th grade, I promise I would do my best to teach him/her the difference between your and you're.
My mission friends and I decided to start doing Thai food night more frequently. I hosted last week. There were almost 20 people crammed into my apartment and it was a fantastic evening. We had bamii muu daeng. Here, Becky and Rachel add the necessary fish sauce, vinegar, and sugar.
Don't these people look so happy knowing that within minutes they will have bamii in their stomachs?
Pim, Bay, Bui, Um, Jake, Rachel, Becky, and Me.
Mike, Natalie, Avery, Aidan, Lucy and I went to The Blue Iguana on Saturday. Lucy kept wanting to dip her chips in the spicy salsa and then couldn't handle the spiciness. It was hilarious because even though she hated the spicy, she kept trying to eat it. She is becoming more independent and toddlerish every time I see her. I like her a lot.
Avery and Aidan are always willing to pose for my pictures.
I remember mocking my mother as a child because her sunglasses were huge. I am so sorry, Mom. I now see why you loved them so much. I love huge sunglasses. So does Lucy.
This was the sunrise taken from my school parking lot yesterday morning. Beautiful. Unfortunately, those clouds ended up producing a hailstorm that forced my students inside for the first inside lunch recess of the year. Bleh! The red pickup belongs to my principal. I have never managed to beat him to school. Maybe someday.
The moon was huge this morning as I was driving to school. It looks itsy bitsy in this picture but it was really beautiful.


I'm going to Boise tomorrow after work. Yahoo!

2 comments:

Kamp Kyburz said...

You totally DESERVE a smoother, better school year. I've also enjoyed that founding mothers book. I love your blog posts and pics.

Lachelle said...

Pictures never do it justice, but it looks like you had some pretty scenic mornings. =)