Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Why I Teach 5th Graders

I'm sorry for those of you that are anti-blogging without pictures. But, I get reminded every once in a while why I teach kids. For our Christmas presents to parents this year, I had my students write their parents letters. The only requirements were that they had to say what they appreciated about their parents and then make a top 10 list about things they love about their moms and dads. Here is a sample of some things my afternoon students wrote:

Thank you for coming to our classroom to do spelling tests every Friday.
You guys help me when I am sick.
You guys exercise.
I could never ask for a better or cooler dad than you.
I am not embarrassed to talk about you.
You grill in the winter.
I appreciate that you help me with my division.
You let me listen to your music.
You tuck me in at night.
You put songs on my ipod.
You check in on my to see if I am okay.
You can keep secrets.


I'm not an overly emotional person, but it has been hard for me to read and edit their letters without tearing up. These kids have soft hearts and I adore them despite how much they frustrate me sometimes.

2 comments:

Christy said...

That's great Emily! I am not sure what happened in your class or about Dec 10th?? But it sounds like things are better?! Are you not suppose to talk about it? Well, the kids in your class do sound sweet, I hope your Christmas is great!! love you!

KristaN107 said...

I totally know how you feel! When I worked at JFK I would always tear up when we had the kids talk about their parents and write about what they loved about them. It is so sweet. The simplest things are also the most endearing. Are you on Christmas Break yet?