Saturday, June 8, 2013

June 8- Jet Lag

Oh, the wonders of jet lag. I didn't get to bed last night until 2:30am because I was wide awake. I intended to sleep in until about 9:30am, but I woke up, WIDE AWAKE, at 6:38am.

 I headed out the door for breakfast at about 8:00. I found a little store and bought the following for a combined total of 15 baht.
Yogurt Milk. This stuff is so good. 

Jello with various mix-ins. You drink it through a straw and the combination of textures is simply delightful. 

Then I bought some real food for breakfast.
Fried Rice- 30 baht
By this time, I was getting tired again, so I went back to my hotel room to sleep. 
Nest Boutique Resort- It was pretty impressive for the $17 that I paid to stay there.


I checked out at about 12pm. The lady at the front desk told me that a taxi would cost 500 baht to get me to my next hotel. I opted instead to have one of the workers hop on his motorcycle and go get me a metered taxi. Even with a 20 baht surcharge, it still only cost me 200 baht to get to my next hotel. 

I love chatting with taxi drivers. It is one of my favorite parts about Thailand. Their lives are always so interesting and so very different from my own. This particular driver, Surin, should be a teacher. We were chatting in Thai, and he would stop when he got to a word he thought might be unknown to me. I knew some and didn't know others. If I didn't know the word, he explained it to me and then asked if I understood. Or, he would explain it and then ask me what the word translated to in English. It was great. Kept me on my toes. I had to really listen and figure out what the word meant. The teacher in me loved that whole conversation.

My new hotel for the next few days is called Padi Madi guest house. It will do. It's not great, but the door locks and the location is pretty good. I'll put up some pictures tomorrow. My goal next week is to find a cheaper place where I can stay the rest of my trip. 

I hopped on the sky train, conveniently located about 30 seconds away from my hotel, and headed to Tesco Lotus to shop for some essentials: fan, cooling powder, shampoo, and conditioner. I got lunch at the food court. 

ข้าวมันไก่- Khao Man Gai Tod- 45 baht. I had forgotten about the soup. 


I then headed back to my hotel room. I was getting tired. I broke the rules for getting over jet lag and totally fell asleep at 3pm. I woke up briefly at about 7pm to watch an incredible rainstorm, then fell right back asleep. A phone call from a friend woke me up at about 10:15pm. It was too late to venture out for some food, so my dinner was a fruit roll-up and goldfish crackers. 

1 comment:

Christyeve4 said...

Oh Emily! It is so exciting and fun to read about your adventures! Since I can't go on any myself like this, it is great to be able to read about them from you! I love the paragraph about getting a taxi and your conversation with him. Sounds like you are having such a wonderful time! I am so glad!!!! Love you friend! Be safe!