Last summer, I decided to try something new. I signed up to volunteer with the IRC in Salt Lake City. The process of training and background checks and finding the right person to work with took several months. I was assigned to visit a Karen girl from Burma weekly for six months. She is 14 years old. She's got four brothers who are 16, 11, 6, and 3 months. I went every Wednesday and we did all sorts of stuff: homework, English practice, immunization appointments, library cards, parks, walks, shopping, etc.
One day in May, I took her and two of her brothers to hike the U. They raced up the hill and then sat on the top of the U for about 25 minutes just chatting with each other and pointing out birds and bikers and clouds. They approached that little hike with so much wonder. I learned a lot working with this family. I am grateful for programs like the IRC who help refugees adjust to life here.
Sunday, July 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment