Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Boston Day 4

We spent the morning in Salem and the afternoon in Boston. Our first stop was the Peabody Essex Museum. It had a great collection of maritime art. Salem used to be one of the wealthiest cities in America and it owed that to all of the shipping they did from the Orient. We also went to the Witch Museum but didn't get any pictures.

Our next stop was The House of Seven Gables. It was built in 1668. Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote a book based on this house. The tour was really cool. They added in a hidden staircase a few years ago to make the house more like the book and it gave a good visual for places slaves may have gone on the Underground Railroad.
We had nothing planned for Boston the first evening we were there so we walked around Copley Square and Boston Common. Here new reflects old, kind of a cool aesthetic.
Mom was really excited to see the duck statues.
Me too.
The trees were in bloom on the Common so it was absolutely beautiful.
We ate at The Cheesecake Factory that night because it was close to our hotel. The food was good but the portions were HUGE!!!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks like a fun trip! I am also excited you saw the ducks! I'm actually going through all my boxes of books trying to find Make Way for Ducklings because the kids I nanny for are begging me to bring it.

Can Can said...

I loved the ducks too! They were EVERYWHERE on my mission. The folks in Ohio would dress theirs up based upon various holidays and seasons.

It's been so fun to read about your adventures and I'm glad you got to go!