Monday, October 20, 2008

Because my family is genius...





There is this meal in Thailand called Muu Kata and it is heavenly delicious. Basically, you cook your vegetables in a broth that surrounds a volcano shaped grill of sorts. You cook all this over coals. When we were in Thailand, we sweated our way through one of these meals and then proceeded to the nearest Big C to purchase Muu Kata cookers. As of late, I have been eating Thai food several times a week. This has set in a serious craving for Muu Kata so I suggested that we enjoy it while I was in Boise.

The only problem was that we didn't have the correct pot for the coals. So, we combined our Smith Family Genius to create one for under $3. I take credit for going to DI and finding angel food cake pans with tabs on the end to perfectly balance the cookers. My dad can take credit for using hardware mesh stuff to create a bed on which the coals could lay. He then drilled holes into the bottom so the coals wouldn't burn out. My mom gets credit for using paving stones as an insulator so that the cookers didn't burn through the table.

What resulted was a meal that took way too long to prepare. It was good though. There's nothing like cooking your own raw meat and then dipping it into Thai chile sauce. Muu Kata is definitely going to become more of a staple in my diet.

1 comment:

Christy said...

The little piece of left over meat I did have tasted like a little bit of Heaven! So good! I know Krista and I were wishing we had it too! Your family is genius! Way to go...Idaho! (ok that was cheesy) ;)