Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Boston Day 3

On Monday, we packed in three major cities: Lexington, Concord, and Lowell. It was early April so most of the sites were closed but we did get to see some things. I think the best part of Lexington and Concord was the Minute Man National Park. It is a walk/bike trail that takes you along the path that the British marched on their way to Concord. It was beautiful and peaceful.

Here Mom stands on the Battle Green in Lexington. One guy was shot and he dragged himself home to the house in the top left corner, then died in his wife's arms. Tragic.
Along the Minute Man trail.
A tavern sign. I guess that most signs didn't have words on them since most people were not literate.
The Old North Bridge where it the war officially began.
The river under the bridge was really flooded as evidenced by this sign on the trail to the visitor's center.

We stopped at Lowell too to see the textile mills that are still running as part of a museum. It was a little out of the way but I have studied the Industrial Revolution in America with my kids and I really wanted to get a feel for what factory life might have been life. I can't imagine working here.
Double lobsters?! I felt like a glutton but I had to do it.
Mom jumped on the double lobster bandwagon too. They were so good. It's hard to believe that lobster was looked down upon in colonial America and fed to prisone.
I can't get this picture to delete. Enjoy the double lobsters again.

4 comments:

Cool Waters said...

yikes those lobsters are huge!! Looks like fun though! We missed you at FHE!

Megan King said...

Your trip so far looks like so much fun and such a deserved get away. I am looking forward to more adventures from mama and daughter smith!

Nick said...

I can't believe you ate four lobsters.

smith fam said...

you look like you are 12 in the picture with the lobsters.