Some experiences have been popping into my head lately. One was a date I went on in college with a boy named Ryan. He was double majoring in physics and philosophy and had really interesting ideas about things. We spent the entire date talking about Plato's Republic and I loved every second of it.
When I was flying back from Indiana this fall, I sat next to this lady from Ohio. We ended up talking for most of the flight about cognition, gender differences, and learning potential. It was a fascinating conversation.
I had dinner at the Barlow's a few weeks ago. The conversation turned to a discussion of some of the themes in a book we had recently read.
A few days ago, a possible solution hit me. I decided to challenge my kids to spend an entire day talking about ideas rather than other people. During class meeting we had a conversation about elevating the level of our conversations and the benefits of doing so. Then, I gave them the challenge to not talk at all about other people for an entire day at school. Most of the kids took the challenge today. I still haven't talked to them to get any feedback but I hope that it at least helped the kids think more about their conversations. I tried it today and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I was tempted more than a couple of times to say something less than kind about another person. I am going to continue with the challenge and try to elevate my conversations.
You are welcome to try the challenge as well.
3 comments:
That's a great idea. I'll do the same when I come to help out! :)
That's an awesome idea! I'll take on the challenge too!
That is probably the most important thing your students will learn. I'll accept your challenge also.
Post a Comment